The Halifax Media Co-op (HMC) is part a coast-to-coast network of local media cooperatives and a national print publication dedicated to providing grassroots, democratic news coverage.
Job Description: Content and Outreach Coordinator
The Content and Outreach Coordinator will work closely with the HMC editorial collective to build the capacity of the HMC. This will involve everything from member outreach and fundraising to writing and editing articles.
Strong candidates will have a keen interest in journalism, social justice and grassroots organizing.
The Content and Outreach Coordinator duties include:
- Writing articles, and/or recording audio/video, on grassroots, local news stories
- Working with other journalists on their articles (editing, copyediting)
- Investigating upcoming story possibilities
- Building the co-op's sustainer base by outreaching to new members (presentations, tabling at events, writing letters)
- Making connections with new communities (especially under-represented communities) and organizations to expand the Co-op's reach and coverage
- Helping coordinate journalism training workshops
- Investigating and applying for funding opportunities
- Helping with a variety of administrative tasks that go along with running a small organization, from stuffing envelopes, to upkeep of the website, to communicating with new members, contributors, and other interested parties.
- Take part in weekly Media Co-op conference calls
- Help bottom-line production of The Tide, the HMC’s monthly print publication
The ideal candidate for this position would possess the following skills, experience and qualities:
- Self motivated, organized and enthusiastic
- Grassroots organizing experience and skills
- Journalism experience and/or training
- Thorough knowledge of social and environmental justice issues
- Local knowledge and connections in Halifax and the surrounding community
- Excellent written language skills
Please note: The Halifax Media Co-op does not currently have an office so interested candidates will need to work from home for much of the time and/or figure out their own working arrangements.
Also, interested candidates need access to a personal computer (preferably a laptop) and internet.
All applicants must have been enrolled as a full time student during the 2011-2012 academic year, be returning to full time studies in the fall and be 30 years old or younger on the first day of work.
The Halifax Media Co-op is committed to employment equity. As such we actively encourage applications from self-identifying members of traditionally marginalized groups, including but not limited to: Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, visible minorities, and LGBTQ people. Please indicate on your application if you would like to be considered for employment equity.
Application deadline Thursday, May 24th at 5 p.m.
Email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a resume and cover letter (please limit cover letter to one page)
- 2 examples of your published news articles (if you have them).
Anticipated Start Date: Thursday, May 31st
30 hours a week. 11 week contract.
The Media Co-op's flagship publication features in-depth reporting, original art, and the best grassroots news from across Canada and beyond. Sign up now!